Of the RAF bombers involved in operations over Germany during the Second World War, the Avro Lancaster must rank as the most famous of them all. Although Merlin engines were the more usual power plant for the Lancaster, not all were produced using them. Due to the demands put on Rolls Royce by the production aircraft such as the Supermarine Spitfire and the DeHavilland Mosquito, there loomed a potential shortage of the vital Merlin and the BII variant was equipped with Bristol Hercules radial engines instead. The first of which was completed in September 1942.
Faster to 18,000ft, these radial engines were also able to soak up more damage than the normally fitted Merlin. However, the service ceiling was lower and with the percieved shortage over by 1944, the BII was phased out of service at the start on 1945. A worthy alternative to the normal variants, the BII proved to be popular with its crews and a capable version of the excellent bomber.
- Speed: 265 mph
- Range: 1,550 miles
- Length: 69ft 6in (31.09m)
- Armament 10 x .303in Machine Guns; up to 23,000lb of bombs
- Complete Bristol Hercules Engines with detailed exhausts
- Optional drop flaps
- Ventral turret and fairing included
- Optional retracted undercarriage
- Fully detailed interior